Deaf Empowerment Kenya (DEK) has members drawn from the Deaf Community and other People with Disability. The organisation was formed to empower the community about the needs of People with Disability and to promote their full participation in the society through right based approaches. The founding members who formed DDSHG were five deaf persons living in Dandora whose initial thinking behind forming this organization was to economically empower deaf persons through initiating a savings and loaning scheme also known as a “merry go round”. Over the years the groups membership steadily increased making the founders recognize the need to formerly register themselves and develop guiding rules and principles, include expansion of their programs to target persons with all types of Disability..
DEK exists to empower people With Disability through programs that build capacity and enhance economic and self-reliance.
“We envision a society where People with Disability are empowered; enjoy their rights and equal participation in the larger society”
- Honesty: We shall be open in our dealings and when conducting office business.
- Integrity: We shall be transparent and accountable in our work.
- Respect for one another: We shall respect and be sensitive to the needs of our clients, staff and members.
- Excellence: We shall strive for excellence in our work
- Professionalism: We shall maintain the highest standards of professionalism and proficiency by empowering staff.
- Teamwork: We shall foster commitment to and support work together as one.
- Equal Opportunity: We shall offer equal opportunity to all staff and members.
- Inclusion: We shall offer Disability friendly services and advocate for Disability friendly services within local and national interventions.
Head Of Programmes
-Finance and Administration officer
MONITORING, EVALUATION, ACCOUNTABILITY & LEARNING OFFICER (MEAL)
-Youth Drop In Centre Officer
Office Assistant -Machakos
Assistant M&E officer
With an increasing number of needs competing against an increasingly meager resource base, it has become imperative for organizations to position themselves strategically in order for them to be effective and efficient in the pursuit of their mandates. It is against that backdrop of a competitive environment that put DEK on a strong footing for it to work towards fulfilling its mission. DEK strategic focus ensure that the organization responds to critical issues as they relate to the success of DEK mission in order of priorities.
Increase our revenue base through resource mobilization and social marketing.
Unprecedented growth and wider catchment coverage
Establish a national coordination wing with regional secretariat
Education, Training and Community Outreach
Promote increased access to education and training opportunities for PWD thus equipping them with knowledge, skills, attributes which will build their capacities for independence, self-reliance. therefore be useful members of the society.
Develop Programs That Enhance Access to Economic Resources, Health & Social Welfare Services among the Youth and Women with Disability
Develop programs that enhance access to economic resources, health & social welfare services for persons who are deaf
Strengthened Leadership and Governance
Establish sound, effective, visionary and responsive governance systems and supportive structures
The activities such as task allocation, coordination and supervision that are directed toward the achievement of DEK goals and objectives are overseen by the structure below: -
- The Program Manager report to the advisory board and responsible for leading, directing developing and managing the implementation of all aspects of DEKs programs and projects. S/he will represent DEK to the government, donors, partners and other related agencies are responsible for coordinating the planning, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of DEKs program activities. The Program Manager someone thoroughly understands deaf and Disability issues, as well as challenges that exist in country that can affect DEK Program delivery. The Program Coordinator and Accountant reports to the PM.
- The Program Coordinator report to the Program Manager and is responsible for overseeing all DEK programs, ensuring that work is efficiently carried out and that resources allocated are used accordingly. The Program Officers, Assistants and M&E Officers report to this position.
- The accountant report to the Program Manager and ensure effective management of financial and administrative services and will ensure that internal and external administrative requirements are met in accordance with DEK and partners procedures and standards.
- The M&E Officer will report to the Program Coordinator and will be responsible for ensuring that monitoring and evaluation is mainstreamed in all the programs. He/She is also responsible for IT and routine and periodic publication work and will work together with the Data Entry Clerks.